Some Important Messages

Thursday, November 12, 2015

There and Back Again: A yinzer's journey back to the south

My husband and I traveled last week back to our hometown, Pittsburgh, PA to celebrate a vow renewal ceremony and reception. Family and friends traveled from all over the country to celebrate our marriage with us. We were surrounded by people who love us literally every second of every day for 8 days. Here are some highlights:
 
{Photo creds to my girl, Renee, who totally nailed it...}

It was a joy to renew our vows with our dear friend, Heather, at Community Presbyterian Church of Ben Avon, where Alex's parents were married.

{we wouldn't be us if we weren't weird}

{it's all about the shoes}

{All my cousins on the McCarty side together for maybe the first time ever...}



 
 
As we received people in the Narthex following the ceremony, one person said to me, "I always feel bad for the bride. Today, you have so many people telling you how beautiful you look, and tomorrow, you'll just have your husband." I found this statement odd, but I couldn't quite grasp why until Sunday morning. True, I awoke Sunday to the silence that follows the storm. Friends and family began to head home and we ourselves packed our car to head south again. We were left with just each other, and of course, God. In all of the chaos of weddings in our current culture, I think there's a lie out there that tells us that simple trio is somehow not enough. That the wedding hasn't really happened until the flowers are perfect and you've greeted 300 people; that you're not really beautiful unless you've done 10 teeth whitening treatments and spent hours in the salon; that the food and the DJ and the decorations need to be perfect.
 
As Alex and I drove the 7.5 long hours in the car back to Charlotte, I reflected that as we sat ordinarily in the car following God's call for our lives to the south, this, this right here, this is enough. I am incredibly grateful for the celebration, for the room of 175 people who love and support us, for the family and friends who made huge sacrifices to be there for us. It was a week filled with joy and excitement. But in the end, what we celebrate is not the frill and pomp of the occasion but the simple truth that God's love, embodied in marriage, is enough.
 
I have been paid in full and have more than enough; I am fully satisfied.
Philippians 4.18a
 
It is my call, my hope, and my prayer that each student here at Unity would come to know that God's love is enough in their lives. They need not seek the trends, the flashy false love of celebrities...they need only seek their loving Father.
 
As we walked into the door of our apartment, Alex and I both said to one another, "welcome home." It was a joyful, peaceful realization that the south has indeed become our new home, and we are so grateful for the immense hospitality that has helped our home become a reality. We return energized for ministry and love, and grateful that we've found a new home. Actually, we return grateful that God's love and call to this place is enough for us.
 
So bring on the sweet tea and fried chicken, y'all!! We are back!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment