Some Important Messages

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Earning Your Stripes

When you move to a new city, it helps to know someone. You get bonus points when your husband's best friend and his wife live in your new city. Even more bonus points for their two hilarious kiddos. This is how my husband and I ended up at a Karate Awards Ceremony last night: to support our two favorite kiddos and learn more about their love for karate.

I had never been to a karate ceremony; nor do I know much about it. I learned that karate is "more than kicks and punches," and the dojo really works as a family to help bring respect and discipline into the home. As each student is awarded their stripes or belts, the families had an opportunity to share the things they loved about their children and the areas in which they needed improvement. We heard countless tales of children who were becoming better listeners, succeeding academically, and learning not to talk back to their parents or teachers. It was a rare honest and open moment, an my husband and I were taken aback.

It came to one family who had twin daughters in the program. It turns out that both daughters had passed for two stripes, but one daughter had had a stripe taken away due to bad behavior. It was gut-wrenching to watch as this girl balled in front of the studio as her father explained why the stripe had been taken away and encouraged her to earn it back. It was solemn, sterile, and rigid; I was drenched in discomfort, as though I were observing something I shouldn't be, as though I had invaded someone's privacy.

And I was completely torn. On one hand, I applauded the father for his rigidity, for teaching his daughter that bad behavior will not be rewarded. One of the most difficult lessons for us to teach and for children to learn is how to be sorry when we have done something wrong, something that hurts another person. On the other hand, I felt deep pain for this sobbing girl. While we knew that on the surface she was simply challenged to earn back her stripe, I wondered if this little girl thought she was in need of earning back something much more. With the stripe, what does she earn back with her daddy? His pride? His respect? His love? For me {as a good Presbyterian}, those things are unconditional; they cannot be earned in my relationship with my heavenly daddy but also in my relationships with God's family.



Consider this:

In 2 Samuel, God makes a covenant with David, saying about his sons, "I will be a father to him, and he will be a son to me. Whenever he does wrong, I will discipline him...But I will never take my steadfast love away from him like I took it away from Saul...Your dynasty and your kingdom will be secured forever before me." 2 Samuel 7.14-16

Through Jesus Christ, we are assured of the promises God made with David; we may sin, we may anger God, and we may find discipline when we wander, but God's love is never taken away. We are secure.

I consider this as we prepare for the kick-off of youth group because I have heard many folks asking me who can come to youth group. Can a visitor come? Can someone who doesn't know God come? Can someone who declares themselves an atheist come? Do kids need to do a certain number of service projects or Sunday School lessons in order to participate in the fun events with youth group? 



The answer is: 

"Come to me, all you who are struggling hard and carrying heavy loads, and I will give you rest."
Matthew 11.28

"Let all who are suffering eat and be full!
Let all who seek the Lord praise him.
I pray your hearts live forever.
Every part of the earth will remember and come back to the Lord;
Every family among all the nations will worship you.
Because the right to rule belongs to the Lord;
he rules all nations."
Psalm 22.26-28

"I didn't come to call righteous people, but sinners to change their hearts and lives."
Luke 5.32



God invites us to come into relationship with our God and our family. This Sunday, let us be invited anew into God's loving arms. Let us feel the invitation and the longing to be a part of this faith community and to be in relationship with our Creator. And let us extend that invitation to others, that all may know that our God is an inviting, seeking, and welcoming God.

How will you extend the invitation of Jesus to your neighbors this week?
Who do you know that needs the invitation to be a part of our church family?

Additional Resources:




No comments:

Post a Comment