Some Important Messages

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

American Ninja Prayer Warrior

I don't know about you, but watching American Ninja Warrior is a shocking experience for me. The amount of physical strength and agility these individuals possess is mind-boggling. 




Yet, perhaps the most astounding part of this show is the preparation and dedication it takes for these individuals to compete in this competition. One man who competed on Monday evening has quit his occupation and lives in his van. He scavenges for food out of dumpsters and spends his whole day lifting, running, and training for the 2 minute and 30 second agility course at American Ninja Warrior. 

Preparation is key.

We may not be lifting weights or living in vans down here at Unity Presbyterian Church, but we are hard at work in preparation. Drafts of schedules and letters are being edited. I have met with coordinators and volunteers. Training is being scheduled. Meals are being scheduled and planned. The many moving pieces are being organized to move together like a great grandfather clock. It becomes easy to be committed to do what it takes to keep the church afloat. It becomes easy to see our success as measured by people in pews and the success of age-old programs.

I challenge us today to be reminded that our church, our very lives, belong to God. The most important preparation we can do for the 2015-2016 school year isn't in schedules or calendars, in meetings or in agendas, in approvals or in deposits. God is calling us to follow the example of the extreme Ninja Warrior who is camping out in his car out of dedication to his mission. We are called to leave behind the busyness and the program and to seek God's voice in the wilderness. In short, we are called to pray; to be American Ninja Prayer Warriors.

I have been reflecting on a few words of Scripture throughout this time of preparation, and I ask that you join me in this reflection:

Colossians 3.2-4, 16-17:

Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth, for you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life is revealed, then you also will be revealed with him in glory...Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly; teach and admonish one another in all wisdom and with gratitude in your hearts sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to God. And whatever you do, in word or in deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Philippians 3.12-14

Not that I have already obtained this or have already reached the goal; but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Beloved I do not consider that I have made it my own; but this one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining toward what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus.

Proverbs 16.9

The human mind plans the way, but the Lord directs the steps.

I will be praying each day at noon as I eat my lunch for the school year. Please join me in prayer; here is a list of things to pray for:

  • wisdom, maturity, and knowledge to teachers and small group leaders
  • open hearts and open minds for students
  • honor and respect in the hearts of all who enter for one another
  • settling of past differences
  • a future with hope
  • Growing faith for adults and students
  • That we might experience the living God in our midst


No comments:

Post a Comment