Some Important Messages

Monday, August 29, 2016

It Takes a Village...

For those of you who don't know me well, there are a couple things you need to know:

First, I am a planner to the nth degree. Color-coded calendars, post-its and elaborate filing systems are my friends!!!


But when it comes to Youth Group, I usually bite off a bit more than I can chew. Every Sunday, I've basically crammed a Broadway musical into 60 minutes of Youth Group time. So the 2 hours before Youth Group begins, I am usually frantically cutting out Challenge Cards, with markers and post-its and basketballs and attendance sheets flying all over the place.



No matter how well I've planned, or how perfect I think the lesson is, the panic and anxiety at 4:45 pm on Sunday afternoons is palpable and weighty. I love what I do, and I love the kids who come to youth group; I want for them to experience Jesus when they come here, to have fun, to learn something, and to be changed indefinitely.


Knowing this, imagine my surprise when my watched turned to 4:30 yesterday, and everything was done: the Garden was completed for our devotion, the materials set out in each classroom, the game supplies gathered in the parking lot. Heck, I even had time to dig out the old basketball pump so that a couple middle schoolers could pump up the basketballs!!! What is this magic?!?!?!

Looking up

Game time at Middle School Youth Group is always chaos; it's just what happens when you bring 40 middle schoolers together and let them run around. At one point, I watched 15 7th grade boys all simultaneously pretend to faint at the same time. Yesterday, we had a battle for the most talented Samurai Master:






This is a great game because everyone can get into the battle, even if you aren't wielding the samurai noodle. It helps a lot of kids feel involved, even when they aren't big joiners or wanting to be the center of attention. So as we attempted to transition from games to devotion, I was nervous. I frantically flipped through the pages of my Bible looking for the scripture for today, and I stopped to look up to make sure there weren't kids shooting hoops or running halfway through the cemetery.

When I looked up I was greeted with a group of 40 middle school students seated criss-cross applesauce being gently shepherded by laughing volunteers. Their faces looked eager, and their eyes were attentively following me waiting for this week's lesson. It was like a refreshing glass of iced tea or a cool breeze on a hot day!


After our devotion, we moved into small groups, where students were challenged to decorate flowers that are being displayed in our Garden of Love. Throughout the semester, we will be using 1 Corinthians 13 to learn about how God intends for us to care for the garden of our relationships with God and others through love and all that it entails. I shuffled about with a bag full of paper flowers, staring nervously at my Daily Plan. As I entered each room, I looked up, and I saw and heard these amazing adults laughing, joking, and learning with these teenagers.





Now I want to be clear: there was never a doubt in my mind that we have capable, amazing youth leaders who have spiritual gifts in leading our youth, and who could certainly do an amazing job leading our youth. What I worry about is whether the instructions that I gave actually make any sense at all to anyone outside of my brain. Even as we moved on to High School Youth Group, I sat back in my arm chair and watched with joy and hope as the volunteers laughed kindly and gently encouraged each of our teenagers. 

Maybe this doesn't seem important...


Maybe as you think about this, it doesn't seem that important to you. I've been here for a year, which normally would mean that many of you have thought: 

Well, Lindsay's been here a year. No need to volunteer. She's got it covered.

And even more so:

That Lindsay is an Energizer Bunny, she doesn't need an army of volunteers.

{Not that I've heard any of this...hypothetically speaking of course}

But let me tell you just how important it is to have great adult leaders for youth group. 

We need a connection

My husband and my brother and I went through the same youth group with most of the same youth leaders in charge. If you asked me who had the greatest impact on me in high school, I would say Kari Limmer or Shannon Rankin. If you asked my husband, he would say Donna Lee or Doug Spicuzza. If you asked my brother, he would say Roy DeLorenze or Chad Johnson. Some of these names are paid people; some are people who gave their time freely to spend with teenagers. I can't imagine what our youth group would have been like without any one of these people; each of them had unique gifts and personalities that helped to draw a wide variety of people to our youth group. 

As I look around at the 40 middle schoolers and 25 high schoolers we had at youth group last night, it is clear that we have 65 distinct personalities. Some will follow Mr. Tim's humor and playfulness. Some will follow Miss Donna's gentle heart and kind spirit. Some will gravitate toward the thoughtfulness of Miss Vereen or the compassion of Miss Sharon. Some will follow the brilliance of Mr. Chris or the never-ending energy of Mr. Jim. Some will be brought in by the geekiness of Mr. Mike or the athleticism of Mr. Chris or Miss Kathy. Some will be drawn to the energy of Miss Mary or Miss Beth, and some by the laughter of Miss Brenda. And some, yes, will connect to Miss Lindsay and her quirky qualities. Without any one of these folks, our youth group might not have a place to stick. And all of this makes me very, very grateful.

I'm grateful not only because this wonderful group of adults make my life easier (and believe me they do). I am grateful because when I see generations working together, I believe I am seeing the Kingdom of God. I am grateful because this dozen adults gets that the future of the church is being placed in their very capable, loving hands. I am grateful because this is a church family that takes responsibility for its members of all ages.

Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, just as it is well with your soul. I was overjoyed when some of the friends arrived and testified to your faithfulness to the truth, namely how you walk in the truth. I have no greater joy than this: to hear that my children are walking in the truth.
3 John 1.2-4

Let us continue this year to walk in the truth and the light of Jesus Christ.

Some resources








No comments:

Post a Comment