Some Important Messages

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

I Hope You Dance (but not in a cheesy, cookie cutter kind of way)

When I graduated from high school, my parents and I packed up all of my worldly possessions and moved me into my Freshman dorm room at Westminster College in mid August. It was approximately 90 degrees when we moved in...no a/c, no elevator, just lots of sweat and hard work. My dad actually had to purchase a new shirt at the gift shop because he had sweated through his first one.

After my parents left, they were listening to the radio, and the song "I Hope You Dance" by LeAnne Womack came on the radio. If you don't remember it, here it is:


My parents actually had to pull over to the side of the road because the song made them cry so much. 

I can remember talking to my mom on the phone later that week. You see, when I started college I had to call home with a calling card, so we didn't get to talk much. My mom was, and still is, one of my greatest friends, and it was hard for me that first year of college to be away from her {although I did still roll my eyes when she told me this story}. Every time I hear this song, I'm reminded not only how truly terrible the late 90s were for country music, but about how I have my parents' support in everything I do, about how I can dream big and there are people cheering for me back home as I go for my goals.

As I reflect on my first school year of ministry at this church, this song and this story comes to mind. Sometimes we can get bogged down in the daily grind, in the "going to youth group because it's what you do on Sundays" mantra, or in the fear that our teenagers are totally going the wrong direction. Along with the Youth Ministry Team and the team of excellent volunteers I have had this year, we have tried to be intentional each week about what we do and why we do it. Here is my short list of what I hope the youth at Unity Presbyterian Church have gotten or will get from the 2015-2016 school year.

#5: I hope you feel welcomed...

Whether you entered into a sea of middle school students or a tight-knit group of high school students, I hope that someone greeted you warmly. I hope that an adult introduced themselves and a youth invited you into the conversation. I hope that someone asked you for your name and your history. I hope someone asked you about your passions and your gifts. I hope someone asked you if you play a sport or an instrument and silently cheered you on in some way.

Luke 10.38-42

When Jesus comes to the home of Mary and Martha, both women try their best to make Jesus feel welcome. Martha does this by preparing a feast and keeping a tidy home. Mary does this by resting at Jesus' feet and giving him her undivided attention.

I hope that no matter who you are are where you came from, the people of this youth group prepared something worth your time, and I hope that even for a single minute, someone gave you their undivided attention.

#4: I hope you feel loved...

By the time our youth hit middle school, they've already in many ways earned their labels and their stereotypes. The smart kids will remain smart; the kids who struggle in school are labeled as dumb. And as our middle schoolers look around at the sea of 13 year-olds, they compare themselves:

Am I cool enough?

Boys are not going to like me because I don't wear designer clothes.

I don't want to do this activity or wear these clothes because people will think I'm weird.

I don't want to seem different from everyone else, but I want to stand out as unique.

It can be easy for these questions and struggles to feed negative self-talk:

I'm not pretty enough.

I'm not rich enough.

I'm too smart, too quiet, too nerdy, too skinny, too fat...

When youth come to youth group, I hope they feel loved.

For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all of creation will be able to separate you from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 8.38-39

I hope you know that God loves you immeasurably more than we can ever imagine. There is nothing you can do that can make God love you any less.

And I love you. There is nothing you can do to make me love you any less either.

#3: I hope you feel heard...

Sometimes it can be difficult in a church of 1300 people to feel like our opinion matters. When we have an idea, it often gets tossed aside or put on the back-burner. So many times we hear adults telling us to "wait" or "give it time" or "thanks for sharing but we don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers, thanks." Even worse, at times we hear opinions from the pulpit or our church leaders with which we disagree wholeheartedly.

for God did not give us a spirit of cowardice, but rather a spirit of power and of love and of self-discipline.
2 Timothy 1.7

I hope that when you come to youth group, you know that all of the adults, including myself, are safe people to talk to. I hope you know that we take your thoughts seriously, and we work hard to make sure that your opinions are heard and respected. I hope you know that even when your voices are not the loudest ones in the room that there are adults working on your behalf to make sure your voices are amplified and heard. I hope you know that God empowers and equips each of you to speak the good news of Jesus Christ, regardless of your age, gender, race or anything else that might make you feel different or less worthy.

#2: I hope you feel challenged...

It would certainly be easy and effective if every lesson we had at youth group taught us to be loving and kind to the people we like who are easy to love. Unfortunately, following Jesus is hard work. It means that we have to sacrifice some of our own wants and desires in order to fully follow God.

I appeal to you therefore, brothers and sisters, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual act of worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds, so that you may discern what is the will of God- what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Romans 12.1-2

I hope that when you left youth group each week, you were challenged to see the world and one another differently. I hope that throughout your weeks, the still small voice in your mind prompted you to think differently about your daily situations. I hope that you learned how to follow Jesus a little more closely this year.

#1:  I hope you were inspired...

In a previous church where I worked, I had a youth whose family situation was really bad. In short, he lived with his mom, who worked a lot and had an active social life, and there wasn't much time for this kid. In the area where the church was situated, it was very easy for young teenagers to find alternative activities to get involved in, the type of alternative activities that could land you in jail or worse. Instead, this kid ended up in youth group. He was inspired by the things he learned so he walked to church every day to help out with something. He stood up to his friends who were doing drugs or getting in fights, and he took a lot of responsibility for his own actions. He was inspired by the Jesus he encountered at the church to change his life for the better.

As chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves in compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience...And whatever you do, in word or in deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Colossians 3.12, 17

I hope you have been inspired to live differently, to pursue God's grace and peace, and to be truer, closer followers of Jesus Christ.


What have you experienced this year?

Tell us in our survey: Youth End-Of-The-Year Survey



No comments:

Post a Comment