Some Important Messages

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Apathetic Sloths: a tiny mountain church and its big impact on teens

This past weekend, I had the great...ahem...joy [anxiety, stress, nervousness...] of attending a ski trip to Beech Mountain with 12 high school youth and 5 adults. This trip was a planner's nightmare:
 
First, we couldn't go to West Virginia because the prices were too steep. Then we couldn't go February 12-15 because places were booked for the holiday. Then we had a bunch of kids sign up, and a bunch of kids drop out. Then we had kids who didn't want to ski but just come and hang out. Then we had a panic on the Monday before about who was driving to/from the event. Then Beech mountain informed us that we could pay in one check for skiing but not for snow tubing. Then I needed cash for the rental place. And I just kept telling myself, it will all be OK once we've arrived.
 
 
Well, that was wrong. As we drove there, our caravan got separated. One of our vehicles started to overheat on the mountain roads. Then I realized I had forgotten all the board games. It took us three passes in the dark to find the correct cabins. You could not walk to the resort from the cabin without walking across the ski slope. The lessons for first-timers weren't available until the afternoon. And then there was the steady mist and fog drifting down the mountain. It was like being in an episode of Lost...
 
 
It just seemed, honestly, like nothing was going to go right on the planning end. Did we get there safely? Yes. Did the kids have a wonderful time, skiing all day and all night? Yes. Of course, I am immensely grateful for God's movement in spite of my planning. Of course, I am grateful that God's plans are better executed than my own. But when this many things are thrown off course, it makes it so difficult for leaders to really kick back and enjoy the weekend and community.
 

Okay, so what's your point?

My point is that when I look at the Ski Trip, I have two choices: I can see my own lack of control, I can see all of my mistakes, I can see all of the things I did wrong or left undone. I can drown in my own self-doubt and self-pity. I can come up with one million excuses and hide behind them so that the criticisms of my peers and colleagues can't touch me.
 
OR...I can see the ways that the hands and feet of Christ remained at work even while I failed. There are times in ministry when, if we are the body of Christ, I am the appendix of Christ: useless, and only noticeable by failure. The great thing about the body of Christ is that it is just that, a body made up of many parts, and the other body parts do not stop functioning just because I've hit a road block.
 
The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ.
1 Corinthians 12.12
 
Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts according to the grace given us.
Romans 12.4-6a
 
Let me take a minute to acclaim the other members of the body of Christ who functioned superbly this weekend, doing the will of Jesus Christ among the youth.

 

Rev. Field Russell, Banner Elk Presbyterian Church

I told the kids that I planned to worship at a church in the mountains on Sunday morning several months ago. I was greeted with polite, "Yes ma'am's" and grimaced faces. One student even said, "So have you done any research on this church? Because mountain people are...well...different." Yet I stuck to my guns, and on a recommendation from Pastor Jeannie, we went to Banner Elk Presbyterian Church on Sunday morning. I confess, I was worried. I was tired, and would have liked to have gotten on the road. I was hungry and anxious to get to our meal stop. And the bulletin told me that the sermon was to be one in a series on the Seven Deadly Sins, in this case sloth. I was beginning to worry that this sermon might be a real brow-beater. I was beginning to worry about whether I or my youth could keep our eyes open throughout the service.
 
But I needn't have worried. Rev. Russell preached on the Parable of the Talents, for which he gets automatic extra credit because it's a doozy of a parable. To top that, he equated sloth with apathy, something I and my youth could certainly benefit from hearing about. Too often, we deal with disappointment and failure by becoming apathetic. Too often, we feel that we can't make enough of a difference, so we choose apathy over empathy. Too often, a weekend of failures and unforeseen circumstances can turn us to apathy. Rev. Russell preached right into my heart, and it seems he did the same for many of the youth. Many youth voluntarily talked about the sermon, expressing enthusiasm over the topic and the preaching. There was nothing flashy about this man or this church. It was a small Presbyterian Church, and Rev. Russell was a kind and enthusiastic pastor, dressed in the same Presbyterian pastoral garb they see each Sunday. There was just something about this message that reeked of Jesus.
 

A couple selfless youth

It was not a weekend focused on mission, so I did not require kids to clean dishes or prep meals. I had low expectations in terms of attire and behavior in the worship service on Sunday. I focused strongly on building community, and enjoying fellowship with and among other youth.
 
One girl did all of the dessert dishes without being asked.
 
One boy set aside money from his spending money to place in the offering plate at Banner Elk.
 
One girl reached out to another girl who had trouble fitting in.
 
One girl gained the confidence to join in a loud game of Reverse Charades.
 
One adult spent a larger part of the day helping first-time skiers succeed.
 
These are the hands and feet of Christ, doing the work of Christ in a hungry world. These are the blessings of a God who is present with us in all parts of the day.
 

Middle School Youth Leaders

Due to traffic and slow movement, we only arrived back at the church from the ski trip at 4:00 on Sunday, giving me no time to change or rest before Middle School Youth Group began. I was just frankly pooped, and I knew I needed summon energy I did not possess to lead youth group. But that's just it- I didn't need to.
 
Some leaders played basketball like champions with our middle school boys. They stayed an extra few minutes to keep playing even after youth group was over.
 
Some leaders showed up to collect money and reservations for Sunday Night Live. They showed up organized and ready for action.
 
Some leaders led discussions about kindness that were deep and raw and full of emotion. Youth were challenged and comforted, inspired and reassured. Some small groups didn't even want to leave at 6:00. This doesn't happen often, folks. This was special.
 

My cat, George

As I arrived at home on Sunday night and my dear George Hairyson was done giving me a stern lecture about leaving him alone for two nights, he cuddled up on my shoulder and pressed his face against my cheek, one of his favorite moves. I'm convinced that there is nothing that can't be fixed by a good cat-cuddle. The Spirit moved in that moment, to calm me and reassure me that all was going to be all right.
 

What about you?

I feel confident that the body of Christ has been working in, around, and through each of you. How has God been at work in your lives? How has God done more than what you are capable, more than you have imagined? How has God blessed you when you are at the end of your rope?
 

Some extra links

 

No comments:

Post a Comment